Here are some collections of general Earth Science related professional literature or links to useful online sources (including classroom lessons and labs). Resources specifically related to Astronomy, Geology, Meteorology, and Oceanography can be found on those corresponding web pages, under the Resources tab above.
1. Earth Science Literacy Principles: An Earth Science Literacy Principles Guide and a video covering the nine big ideas mentioned in the guide are available in both English and Spanish. Access at:
2. Why Earth Science?: The American Geological Institute has published a brochure highlighting the reason everyone should learn about the Earth Sciences. A "Why Earth Science" video is also available on YouTube.
3. Earth Science Week: This website not only includes information about the special week in October set aside to highlight Earth Science education, but it also provides a number of teaching resources for educators and students.
4. TERC (Technical Education Research Centers): This website features EarthLabs covering topics such as Climate, the Carbon Cycle, Corals, Drought, Earth System Science, Fisheries, and Hurricanes.
5. American Meteorological Society (AMS) Education Programs: This website describes many education resources for teaching about meteorology, climate science, and oceanography. This includes very inexpensive online courses, summer programs for teachers, kits, and other resources.
6. Certified American Meteorological Society (AMS) Teacher Program:
The American Meteorological Society has established a formal
certification to recognize and support teachers actively engaged in
raising Earth Science literacy. Details can be found at this website.
7. Earth Science Picture of the Day: This website is a service of Universities Space Research Association. It features a new picture and summary relating to the Earth Sciences each day.
8. POGIL (Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning): A student-centered, group-learning instructional strategy and philosophy now has Earth and Space Science activities available that are correlated to NGSS.