- My MESTA
- Teacher Resources
- PD Opportunities
- Join MESTA
- Contact Us
Information for Authors of Articles in The Michigan Earth Scientist
MESTA encourages articles for our full-color quarterly journal, The Michigan Earth Scientist (TMES), that provide exemplary state-of-the-art tested classroom activities and resources focused on K-12 Earth and Space Science educators. MESTA also welcomes articles describing proven innovations in pedagogical approaches for the Earth and Space Science classroom, as well as updates on in-depth science content relevant to the K-12 Earth and Space Science curriculum.
TMES is published quarterly. Articles submitted by the deadline for each issue will be considered for publication for upcoming issues. Submission deadlines are as follows:
- Spring issue: March 28
- Summer issue: June 28
- Fall issue: September 15
- Winter issue: December 28
Interested authors should keep the following article guidelines and format specifications in mind when submitting work to our Journal Editor.
- Describe exemplary state-of-the-art tested classroom activities or resources for K-12 Earth and Space Science educators, or updates on background science topics that are relevant to the K-12 Earth and Space Science curriculum.
- Describe proven innovations in pedagogical approaches and classroom tools for the Earth and Space Science classroom.
- Include original material only; references must be properly cited according to APA style manual
- Use clean and concise writing style, spell and grammar checked
- Demonstrate clear classroom relevance
- Use Microsoft Word (PC or Mac) - please save in .doc format, Times 10 font and size, single-spaced.
- Submit articles electronically.
- Include a summary/abstract with submission.
- Limit length of article to 2000 words.
- Include author names, school/organizations, mailing address, home and work phone numbers, and e-mail addresses.
- Number all figures and include captions (Figure 1. XYZ).
- Follow guidelines for photos and graphs: all photos and graphs should be of excellent quality and in jpeg format. (300 dpi minimum, high resolution)
Articles will be reviewed for relevance and accuracy. The editor will reply to the author to inform him/her if the article has been accepted as is, accepted with revisions, or declined.